Question Submit

Friday, April 23, 2010

Paying Contract Labor

Question:


Some employees are paid through on-line banking directly.  I enter this transaction in QuickBooks as a General Journal crediting the bank and debiting the Contract Labour account.
 
When the person asks for a print out for the previous year I cannot get the information to come up.  I click on Company, Chart of Accounts and Contract Labour.  In Contract Labour I click on Modify, Filter, Date (change dates to cover requested period) and the Name of the person.  The information comes up until I click on the person’s name.
 
I have tried to click on Memo instead of the person’s name and enter the information exactly the same way it is under memo in the General Journal and this also comes up blank.  How can I access this information to print last year’s income for this person?
 
Thank you very much for your help.  

Answer:

The problem here as I see it is that you are entering the the persons name in the "Memo" field instead of selecting the vender in the "Name" field of the general journal screen. Changing this should allow you to filter by name. I would also get the report by bringing up a profit and loss for the period in question, double clicking the "Contract Labour" account and filtering by name under "Modify Report"

So the quick answer is you can either go back and fix the entries or print the report and spend some "fun time" with your calculator.

Can I make a suggestion though?

In the "Write Checks"screen, there is a selection box under the check that says "Online Payment". Paying your contract Labor expenses from here would give you more function in terms of reporting.There are an abundance of vendor reports that I believe would give you the detail you need.

I am not sure of the regulations in Canada (I can tell you are one of our Northern neighbors by your email, and by the way you spell "Labour") but in the US paying contract labor this way allows us to track payments for 1099 purposes as well. Readers in the US would do well to take this opportunity to review the IRS literature on employee vs. contract labor. This is an area of focus as always for the IRS.

No comments: